SeattleWiki uses a special code called Wiki markup for formatting the text and images in an article. The Wiki markup used while editing a page will determine how the text looks and what links and images are in the page.
If you are not sure how all this works or are afraid to break something, don't worry! Just do what you can and someone will come around and fix it later. That's the nice thing about wikis! Otherwise, feel free to send email.
- To make an internal link, one that points to another page on this wiki, whether it exists or not, use double-brackets:
I like visiting the [[Wallingford]] neighborhood. --> I like visiting the Wallingford neighborhood.
- You can also give the link a different name by adding a "|name" to it, for example:
You may want to check out the [[General resources|resources]] page. --> You may want to check out the resources page.
- To link to an external URL, you can simply include it and it will automatically be linked. If you'd like to give it a title, put the URL between brackets, followed by the title. For example:
There's more info about parks at http://www.seattle.gov/parks --> There's more info about parks at http://www.seattle.gov/parks
Don't forget the [http://www.seattle.gov/parks/ Seattle parks department] website. --> Don't forget the Seattle parks department website.
- SeattleWiki also has some built-in links to other wikis and useful websites, called interwiki links; see the Interwiki page for what they are and how to use them.
We live in [[Wikipedia:Seattle, Washington, USA|Seattle]]. --> We live in Seattle.
You may want to take [[Metro:007|number 7 bus]] to get there -->You may want to take number 7 bus to get there
- You can use bold and italics in your text by using single apostrophes:
Two apostrophes is ''italic'', and three is '''bold''' -->Two apostrophes is italic, and three is bold
- You can make bullet-point and numbered lists by using * and # respectively:
* A bullet point * Another bullet point! ** A sub-bullet point # A numbered list # The next number
Using images Edit
If you'd like to add an image to a page, first you have to upload it. Make sure you are uploading pictures that are either not copyrighted, or can be used under fair use!
Once you've uploaded the picture, return to your article and add it by using
If you want to have it be a thumbnail, and align nicely inside the page, you can do so easily by using wiki markup like
[[Image:imagename.jpg|right|thumb|This is the image caption]]